Maybe you've seen the recent commercials sponsored by the Corn Refiner's Association. Basically, there are two people sitting down to eat. One offers the other some food and the other backs off and refuses because it contains high fructose corn sryup.
The first person says, what's wrong with high fructose corn syrup, after all it's made from corn? The second person fumbles around, realizes they don't have an anwer and then is overcome by guilt or stupidity after they don't have anything intelligent to say. The first person wins the power struggle then they both stuff thier face with whatever crapola has the high fructose corn syrup.
I've posted this list before, but find that with the increase in commercials being played on TV, I'd like to give you some more ammunition to answer the question "What's Wrong With High Fructose Corn Syrup?"
Here’s the Top Ten List of Why High Fructose Corn Syrup is bad for you:
1. High Fructose Corn Syrup is made from genetically modified (GMO) corn. Which you should know, most corn nowadays is GMO.
2. High Fructose Corn Syrup is far from being natural as it takes high heat, 3 different enzymes and 5 different processes to create it.
3. The introduction of High Fructose Corn Syrup into society coincides with the beginning of the obesity epidemic. As HFCS beame more widely used, the rate of obesity climbed as well, bringing with it all those obesity related problems like diabetes, heart disease and cancer.
4. Because High Fructose Corn Syrup is so far removed from a natural food, it fails to stimulate leptin, the hormone that makes you feel full.
5. Because High Fructose Corn Syrup is so far removed from a natural food, it fails to reduce ghrelin, a stomach hormone that stimulates your appetite.
6. Because High Fructose Corn Syrup is so far removed from a natural food, it may also decrease adiponectin levels. Adiponectin is a hormone made by fat cells that helps make you more sensitive to insulin and helps control your weight and appetite
7. Because of #’s 4, 5 & 6, eating high fructose corn syrup fails to do 3 things your body needs to feel full and curb your apetite…..so you keep on eating and eating and eating...
8. High Fructose Corn Syrup spikes your triglyceride levels
9. High Fructose Corn Syrup lowers your levels of “good cholesterol” (HDL)
10. High Fructose Corn Syrup increases your levels of LDL-B cholesterol. LDL is your “bad cholesterol”, the LDL-B is the “bad of the bad cholesterol”.
11. As has been the subject of recent news reports, some recent studies have shown that most high fructose corn syrup contains mercury. You are most vulerable when high fructose corn syrup is one of the top 4 ingredients in your food. Mercury is a heavy metal poison that is difficult for your body to get rid of. Mercury is responsible for many symptoms that plaque our society and can be attributed to the mercury-silver amalgum dental fillings and now to high fructose corn syrup.
Bottom line, anything sweetened with high fructose corn syrup should be labeled "artificialy sweetened". High Fructose Corn Syrup does not occur in nature. The corn high fructose corn syrup is made from is genetically modified.
Don't be deceived by the cute TV commercials when the person can't answer why high fructose corn syrup is bad for you. The fact is, it is bad for you whether or not you can vocalize the reasons. Now, with this blog post, you have 11 good anwers when some dope asks you why high fructose corn syrup is bad for you!
Dr. Narson is a 2-term past president of the Florida Chiropractic Association’s Council on Sports Injuries, Physical Fitness & Rehabilitation and was honored as the recipient of the coveted Chiropractic Sports Physician of the Year Award in 1999-2000. He practices in Miami Beach, Florida at the Miami Beach Family & Sports Chiropractic Center; A Facility for Natural Sports Medicine.