Saturday, January 21, 2012

Run-Walk-Run Your Way To A Faster Marathon or Triathlon Time

So, as the story goes, the run was the part of the triathlon that I hated the most and for years it's what kept me from even considering doing a triathlon. But now that I've been training to do triathlons for my 3rd season, I still can't get to that "runner's high" zen state of mind I keep hearing so much about. Running for me is work, not enjoyment. I do it because it's part of the triathlon and I love the entire experience.

As I start training longer runs and push my personal best distances I notice that my legs start to get "crampy" and I know fatigue is just around the corner. Although I keep trying, I really have to put some real effort into keeping my pace up and fighting the onset of fatigue. If you're like me, you understand exactly what I'm talking about.


Well a patient of mine who is running the ING-Marathon suggested I look into the Galloway method. It combines running-walking-running to help fight running fatigue, improve race times and help you recovery faster. For those of you that don't know Jeffrey Galloway, Jeff was a former Olympic long distance runner and member of the 1972 US Olympic Team, running the 10,000 meter race. He continues to teach and coach in Orlando, FL and is a monthly contributor for Runner's World Magazine. He authored Galloway's Book on Running and continues to help people achieve their dream of completing marathons to this day.


The method involves running, then walking and then running again and has been shown to reduce fatigue, increase race times and improve recovery. This looks like a very promising technique I'm going to incorporate into my triathlon training as my distances increase. Click here to read more about the Galloway method from the former Olympian himself..

And with that, I say Happy Running... Really.

'nuff said

Dr. T



Dr. Narson is a 2-term past president of the Florida Chiropractic Association’s Council on Sports Injuries, Physical Fitness & Rehabilitation and was honored as the recipient of the coveted Chiropractic Sports Physician of the Year Award in 1999-2000. He practices in Miami Beach, Florida at the Miami Beach Family & Sports Chiropractic Center; A Facility for Natural Sports Medicine.

#chiropractormiamibeach #MiamiBeachChiropractor #SportsInjuriesFixedHere #DrNarson #TriDoc #TriathlonDoc #ChiropracticSportsMedicine #ACASC #SportsMedicine #SportsChiropractor #MiamiBeachSportsMedicine #SportsMedicineMiami #MiamiSportsMedicine #MiamiChiropractor #Triathlon #Running #Ironman #IFixPeopleInPain #TrainWithoutPain #MiamiBeachChiropractor #GrastonTechnique #FAKTR #IASTM #Chiropractor #FootPain #Narson #NarsonBodyMechanic #NarsonTool #DACBSP #CCSP #ACBSP #BackPain #NeckPain #ShoulderPain #RotatorCuff #ITBandSyndrome #runnersKnee #PlantarFasciitis #Plantarfascitis #AchillesTendonitis #AchillesTendonosis #GettingAthletesBackInTheGame  #MiamiBeachChiropractor #MiamiSportsMedicine #MiamiBeachSportsMedicine #WeFixPeopleInPain #TrainWithoutPain #ChiropracticSportsMedicine #ACASC #ProSportChiropractic #FunctionalMedicineMiami #DrNarson #BackPainRelief #NeckPainRelief #SportsInjuriesFixedHere #LaserTherapy #RockTape #KinesioTape #KTTape #Nutrition #21DayPurificationProgram #DetoxProgram #PaleoDiet #PaleoDoc #FunctionalNutrition #Chirooractor #Chiropractic #ChiropracticPhysician #DoctorOfChiropractic

No comments: